Expecting mothers spend so much time preparing and getting ready for the baby that they forget about themselves and don’t realize how much their bodies will be affected by labour and delivery. Labour is hard work and a new mothers body will need time to heal, rest & recover. So I came up with a simple DIY healing recipe for those new mothers to aid in a calm and happy recovery. I love making these little tea bags for my clients and bringing them for my postpartum visit. Mom goes in to have a quiet bath and I get to snuggle with a fresh baby.
The idea of the herbs is to be soothing and healing, but also to be antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. So I searched and put together some easy and beneficial ingredients that you can find and prepare yourself at home before your birth. And if your an Amazon Prime mom (Ooh, I totally am!), I have made this even easier by providing direct links to Amazon for you to order everything you will need! So you won’t even have to leave the house to search for these miraculously healing items.
Herbal Sitz Bath Tea Bags Ingredients & How they Will Help!
- Cotton Muslin Bags (Find it here)
- Unrefined Sea Salt/Epsom Salt – This natural detoxifier will provide the needed minerals to help your body heal quickly. It can also aid in a peaceful sleep. (Find it here)
- Lavender – This herb not only promotes restfulness, but is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and an antioxidant.(Find it here)
- Witch Hazel – Is great to be used for haemorrhoid relief and treatment and is also known for its anti-inflammatory and astringent uses. (Find it here)
- Chamomile – This herb is so relaxing and helpful to soothe inflammation and anxiety. It also has anti-bacterial anti-fungal and acts as a natural antibiotic. (Find it here)
- Rosemary – Heals perineal tears, soothes, relieves muscle pain & exhaustion.(Find it here)
Recipe for Herbal Sitz Tea Bags
- Cotton Muslin Bags
- 2 tbs of Unrefined Sea Salt
- 2 tbs of Lavender
- 2 tbs of Witch Hazel
- 2 tbs of Chamomile
- 2 tbs of Rosemary
Combine and mix all ingredients well. Fill each muslin bag. After the birth of baby fill the bathtub with water and try to make it as hot as possible. Drop one of the tea bags into the water and let the salt dissolve and let the contents steep. Once the water is a comfortable temperature for you, enjoy a relaxing and amazingly scented bath!
You can store the extra ingredients in a mason jar or Ziploc until used. And even once you are all healed up, these ingredients make for a lovely bath as often as you like! Use this time for yourself to relax and recover, you worked hard, Mama! One day at a time, one bath at a time!
Heres wishing you a calm & happy healing
Please Note: For those Mamas who have stitches, try to limit yourself to 1 bath a day. If you do not have stitches, enjoy as many baths as you like!