Besides its amazing taste and culinary uses, broth is an amazing source of minerals and is the perfect fuel for labour! And that’s not even the best part…broth is also considered to be a “clear” liquid, so it is on the approval list in most hospitals, as most hospitals do not allow eating during labour.
There are also tons of benefits from broth when ingested in the postpartum period. Broth can help your body recover more quickly and speed up the healing process.
Here are a few of the benefits:
• Hydration: You lose a lot of fluid during the labour process, broth can help you to rehydrate and give you a beneficial boost with your breastfeeding!
• Liver detox: After birth, your liver is still working hard to filter and protect you. So give your liver a break and feed it well.
• Boosts your immune system: Rich in minerals and nutrients and are easily absorbed into the body, which is so important to your overall recovery and well-being.
• Protect your joints: Your body has been through a lot! Carrying a baby for 10 months does a number on you and the gelatin, collagen, and elastin can help to strengthen your joints
We have put together a simple instant pot recipe (very minimal work required, we know you are tired, mama) This way you can prepare the broth quite a bit ahead of time (before birth). Broth can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer.
You can save leftover bones from when you roast a chicken, turkey or duck or you can visit your local butcher shop or grocery store to purchase bones etc.
Roasting the bones and vegetables beforehand will add even more flavour and richness to it but it not necessary when using an instant pot.
Mindful Mommy Bone Broth Recipe
Makes about 8 cups of broth, depending on cooking time
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 120 minutes (manual pressure)
· Chicken Bones or Beef Bones
· 2-4 chopped Carrots
· 2-4 Celery Stalks
· 2 Onions, quartered with skin
· A head of garlic chopped in half with skin
· 2 Bay leaves
· 1 Tablespoon of salt
· 1 Tablespoon of Black peppercorns
· 1 Tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar
· 3 Sprigs of Thyme or any herbs you love!
How to Make Instant Pot Bone Broth
· Add the celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, and vinegar to the pot. Add bones and vegetables into the instant pot as well.
· Fill the instant pot with water to the fill line (filtered water is your best option) or just ensure that there is enough water to cover all of the bones and vegetables.
· Cook the broth in the instant pot for 120 minutes with manual option or Soup/Broth option
· Lock lid into place and make sure to flip the vent valve to sealing
· When cooking time is finished, allow broth to naturally release. This will take 20-30 mins or so
· Allow to cool, then strain broth and add to mason jars for storage or freezing (tip: do not fill jars to the top when freezing or jar may burst once frozen, leave a gap at the top)
This broth is a powerhouse of energy for you during your labour, enjoy every rejuvenating sip!